Spring is in the air…can you feel it? Do you know what that means? The Herb Fairies Book Club* is open and you can join right now! But first, let’s bake some cookies!
In the next few weeks, depending on where you live, you’ll start to notice dandelions popping up all over the place. Don’t pull them or mow them or spray them – they are the first food available for the bees! If you’re good at sharing, you can forage them, though, and bake some delicious dandelion cookies.
A few foraging tips:
– Take no more than 1 for every 4 you see
– Move around and don’t take all from one place
– Take only what you need (save some for the bees, butterflies & fairies!)
Now, onto the recipe…
This recipe is one of many that you’ll have access to when you join the Herb Fairies Book Club*. It accompanies Book Thirteen: “Healing the Heart of the Forest”, which is all about Dandy, the dandelion fairy. Each of the 13 Herb Fairies books* focusses on a different plant – how to identify it, where to find it, what you can use it for, how it heals, and so on. And there are follow-up activities available online to accompany each book and the series on the whole. The Herb Fairies series*makes plant medicine and herbal learning accessible to kids of all ages, and fun for the whole family! Sign up TODAY* (the book club closes April 30th)!!
(See below for gluten-free option)
1/2 cup freshly picked dandelion flowers (~20)
1/2 cup of butter (melted)
1/2 cup of honey
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup oats
Substitute gluten-free flour & oats, use 2/3 cup of butter (instead of 1/2 cup), and add 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda and 1/8 teaspoon of xantham gum or guar gum.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Remove all stems and bracts (green parts) from the dandelion flowers and set aside.
- Mix together dry ingredients in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Whisk together melted butter and honey in a small bowl.
- Add the dandelion flowers to the honey and butter mixture.
- Whisk the eggs and vanilla in after the flowers.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir well.
- Drop cookies (approximately 1 tablespoon of batter each) onto parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Bake for ~15 minutes or until golden brown.
Makes about 1 and 1/2 dozen cookies.
I would love to hear about your experience with this recipe! Huckleberry thoroughly enjoyed foraging for dandelions and helping with every step of the cookie-baking process (including eating them). Pack them as a delicious and nutritious snack on your next adventure!
For more recipes like this, be sure to join the Herb Fairies Book Club* NOW!
Access Book One: “Stellaria’s Big Find” for FREE* – free download
Learn more about Herb Fairies and Sign Up by April 30th* – sales page
Tune into a FREE Webinar: “Growing Your Herbal Family”* – choose a time on May 2 or 3
*Denotes an affiliate link. I make a very small commission when you shop through my affiliate links. Thank you for supporting the blog.