I received this item at no cost to facilitate my review. All opinions remain my own.
You need a backpacking hammock! Seriously, stop wasting your time reading this review and go buy one now! I’ll even save you the trouble of shopping around – the Eclypse II Backpacking Hammock from Tiny Big Adventure is lightweight, versatile, durable and inexpensive. It will change your life! It will rock your world! It will totally elevate your outdoors experience!
Alright, so some of you may require a little more convincing. I can understand that. We have a tight budget and don’t splurge on much. But wow! We can’t say enough good things about the Eclypse II Backpacking Hammock. We are currently learning to slow down, such is the life of a new parent. And in doing so, we’ve had to accept that there’s a lot more idle time at the campsite, in the yard, at the cottage, etc. And toddler-wrangling for hours on end is hard work.
Enter the Eclypse II Backpacking Hammock. It is a place for relaxing, for nursing, for momentarily containing a wild child, for napping, for cuddling, for rocking a little one to sleep. It is a place to enjoy a sunset, a good book, a quiet moment, some alone time. It has become an essential piece of outdoor gear for us now, so it’s a good thing it packs well!
Now that we have a backpacking hammock, I can’t imagine a trip to the woods without one! Even if we are just playing in the yard, killing time in a park or heading to the cottage, we bring it along. And it definitely comes with us on day hikes and camping trips.
Beyond the usual benefits of owning a hammock of any kind, I think the biggest thing for me is that it has made breastfeeding in the backcountry a more enjoyable experience. There’s nothing worse than hiking several kilometres into a campsite with a kid and a pile of gear on your back, only to have to attempt to get comfortable on a bench, a rock or the ground for a nursing session.
The Eclypse II Backpacking Hammock takes 2 minutes to set up, cradles you and your little one perfectly, supports your back, and allows you to relax and enjoy nursing your trail baby instead of dreading it. The extra 20 ounces in your pack is totally worth the bliss it offers. I’ll definitely be including it in the next version of my “6 Tips for Nursing on the Trail” post!
The Star of the Show: Tiny Big Adventure’s Eclypse II Backpacking Hammock featuring…
- Stainless steel carabiners that have been rated and load-tested.
- String for mosquito net (in action).
- Hammock ropes that have been rated and load-tested.
- Mosquito net keeps the bugs out and lets you sleep in comfort.
- Breathable, quick-drying, reinforced, professional grade 210 ripstop nylon.
- Zipper for entry into mosquito netting along one side of the hammock (actually on side opposite carry bag).
- Attached drawstring carry bag/stuff sack for the hammock.
- Backpacking hammock that is tested for up to 400lbs and fully deploys to 108 inches in length and 53 inches in width. The hammock also has triple-stitching and a quality pattern that provides reliable support reducing pressure points for a comfortable sleep.
- Extra wide tree straps for a simple suspension system, which means instant and easy setup, no damage to trees, with 12 loops for adjustability.
- String for mosquito net (ready to be packed).
Included but not pictured: Small black drawstring pouch to hold bug net string & tree straps.
What we love about our Eclypse II Backpacking Hammock:
- It offers another “space”! Whether you are just looking for a change of scenery or change of pace, or if you need some serious “me time” in the backcountry, this hammock creates an alternative space. You can use it to sneak away for some quiet time, put your feet up after a long hike, rock a fussy baby to sleep or cuddle with your favourite adventure partner(s).
- It fits all of us! This is only a single-person hammock, but it is nice and wide and tested for up to 400lbs so we can all snuggle in there together quite comfortably. Sometimes we lay lengthwise and throw Huckleberry on top, and other times we let our legs dangle off one side and Huckleberry sits beside us. There are also times when he’s napping in the tent and it’s just Trail Dad and me, getting some quiet kid-free cuddle time.
- It packs well! At only 20 ounces it is lightweight and easy to carry, and it packs down to the size of a cantaloupe melon. We love throwing it in our day pack for nearby adventures or tucking it in with our sleeping bags on overnights. The extra weight in your pack in negligible compared to the added comfort and enjoyment it brings to your trips. And if you’re up for it, you could always ditch the tent and sleep in the hammock!
- It is SO easy to set up! I’ve timed myself and I can do it in under 2 minutes. Sometimes it takes a little longer if I’ve misjudged the distance between trees, but man is it simple! You loop the straps around two trees, clip the carabiners onto whichever loop suits the height you’d like and the distance between the trees you’ve chosen, and then climb in! I talked my mom through it while I toddler-wrangled, and she had it up with no problems at all in a short time. My biggest piece of advice though, looser is better! If the hammock is hung too tightly, you will not enjoy lying in it.
- It can be set up almost anywhere! We’ve stuck to trees for the simple suspension set up, but others have rigged this hammock on poles, car doors, rock faces, and more! Also, the completely adjustable straps can fit around just about any tree and the 12 carabiner loops allow for fining tuning to whatever height and angle you prefer.
- It is versatile! The ability to set it up just about anywhere is one key feature in the versatility category, but also the fact that it can be used for simple relaxation or for camping it awesome too! Flip it bug net side up and use the included string to hold the netting up and enjoy a mosquito-free night under the stars. Flip it bug net side down and take a nap, read a book, enjoy the afternoon sun.
- It is well-made! This hammock is built to last with the highest quality 210 ripstop nylon, triple-stitching, and quality pattern to offer comfort and support. It is tested for up to 400lbs, the reinforced nylon doesn’t rip and the hammock ropes and stainless steel carabiners are rated and load tested. It is breathable and quick-drying (plus there’s a 6-month 100% money back guarantee in case you aren’t happy).
What we would change if we could:
- The rain fly is sold separately. I like when everything you need is sold together in one bundle. Yeah, maybe I won’t need the rain fly very often, but I bet I would use it more simply for having it. And the rain fly costs almost half the price of the hammock, which is also frustrating. But if you’re a fairweather family, this isn’t an issue for you.
To purchase your very own Eclypse II Backpacking Hammock from Tiny Big Adventure you really only have one option, or two depending on how you see it. You can shop Amazon.com* or you can shop Amazon.ca.
Where will you hang your Eclypse II Backpacking Hammock?
Who wants their very own Eclypse II Backpacking Hammock from Tiny Big Adventure? Now is your chance to win one! Enter using the widget below. The giveaway is open to residents of Canada & the USA and will close at 11:59pm EST on July 28th. Good luck!
Terms & Conditions: Open to residents of Canada and the USA, 18 years of age or older. Confirmed winner(s) will be contacted via email and have 48 hours to respond or another winner will be drawn. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Prize fulfilment is the responsibility of the sponsor(s). Canadian winners must successfully complete a skill testing question. For questions or to see your product featured on Maman on the Trail blog contact Monica at http://www.mamanonthetrail.com/contact-me/
*Denotes an affiliate link. I make a very small commission when you shop through my affiliate links. Thank you for supporting the blog.