I received these items at no cost to facilitate my review. All opinions remain my own.
Did you know that 1L of water weighs 1kg?
We typically carry a full 3L Camelbak hydration bladder* each when we hike into the backcountry for an overnight stay. That means we are carrying 6kg just in water. For me, carrying 3kg of water means that 20% of the maximum weight I can carry in my pack is taken up by a resource that I know I will find at my campsite and along the trail. But for fear of bacteria, I can’t just drink straight from the source, so we also carry water purification tabs to treat water when we run out. All of this is very frustrating when it means you have to leave things like a hammock, an extra change of clothes, or a fun treat behind because water is more important. It was very frustrating until we discovered HydroBlu.
#CleanWaterEverywhere. That is what HydroBlu is offering. I know that there are other water filtration systems out there, but none of them seemed simple or compact enough to be worth the purchase price and extra weight. HydroBlu, on the other hand, makes several simple, compact and lightweight water filtration products and they have completely revolutionized our backcountry experience. I’m talking less stress, less weight, more room for more fun, and of course, clean, safe water everywhere!
On our latest hike-in camping trip, we packed only the water we needed for the hike (about a litre each) and on our canoe-camping trip, we carried even less for our short paddle. After that, we simply filled up our Clear Flow Water Bottles with lake water and attached our Versa Flow Light-Weight Water Filter to the soft-sided water bottle that came in Kirby’s Ruffwear Palisades Pack and used that to refill our hydration bladders. It was easy-peasy lemon squeezy. And saved us the wait of water purification tabs or boiling, the stress of not packing enough water, the weight of carrying more water than we needed, and the worry of drinking contaminated water or worse, letting our son drink contaminated water.
Speaking of Huckleberry, he LOVES our Clear Flow Water Bottles so much that we’ve pretty much let him claim one for his own. He has no troubles at all drinking through the built-in filter straw and uses the silicone mouthpiece as a teething toy, multipurpose! Now that he’s drinking more water and less breastmilk, I feel good knowing that I can give him clean, safe water wherever we are. He won’t have to wait for the water to boil and cool, for a pump to filter the water, or for a purification tab to do its work. With HydroBlu, we can all enjoy clean, safe water on demand. There’s also something exhilarating and wild about filling a water bottle from a lake or stream and drinking it cold and fresh.
The Stars of the Show: HydroBlu’s Clear Flow Water Bottle and Filter Combo & Versa Flow Light-Weight Water Filter featuring…
- Flip straw with a food-grade silicone cover that can be removed for cleaning.
- Durable plastic lid made in a standard size to be interchanged with other straw-style water bottles, includes a loop for clipping to a pack.
- BPA-free 16 oz. plastic water bottle.
- Reinforced rubber base to withstand wear and tear in the outdoors.
- Hollow fibre + activated charcoal Clear Flow filter removes 99.99999% of all bacteria, such as salmonella, cholera and E.coli; removes 99.9999% of all protozoa, such as giardia and cryptosporidium, reduces heavy metals, iron, sulfur, negative taste and any discoloration from your water.
- Tubing to connect Versa Flow to a bucket as a gravity filtration system.
- Tubing connector to attach tubing to a bucket for a gravity filtration system.
- Tube clamp to control water flow in a gravity filtration system.
- Mouthpiece or output of Versa Flow filter with a cap for cleanliness, can be fitted in-line with hydration bladder, or used as a straw.
- Mouthpiece of Sidekick 3-Stage Straw Water Filter.
- Replaceable cotton pre-filter (comes with 1 replacement) followed by activated carbon and hollow membrane filters that remove bacteria, such as Giardia, E coli, cryptosporidium, heavy metals such as lead, iron, cadmium, nickel, chromium, and zinc, and chemicals such as chlorine, pesticides, herbicides, gasoline, and diesel.
- Cap for Sidekick 3-Stage Straw Water Filter.
- Intake of the Versa Flow with threading to fit standard plastic water bottles and hollow fiber tubes that have thousands of tiny holes (0.1 microns) that block 99.999% of harmful bacteria, Giardia, E. coli, protozoan cysts, Cryptosporidium and more. The Versa Flow water filter does not remove chemicals or viruses from water.
What we love about our HydroBlu Water Filtration Products:
Get ready…there’s a lot to love!
- They provide #CleanWaterEverywhere! Hiking, camping, paddling, travelling, etc., as long as there is water, you can drink it! A great addition to an emergency kit or your adventure gear, but also great for everyday use, these products are perfect for keeping you hydrated with safe, clean water, wherever your adventures take you. I absolutely love that I can take just the one water bottle and fill it up along the way – in a canoe, on the trail, while camping and more!
- They are compact & lightweight! The biggest benefit we’ve found in using HydroBlu water filtration products is the lightening of our packs and it is amazing that we can do that without adding any excess bulk or simply switching out the water for a filter of the same weight. All of their products pack small and add a negligible amount of weight. The Clear Flow Water Bottle is standard-sized and weighs 7.8oz., the Versa Flow Light-Weight Water Filter is about the size of two rolls of quarters and weighs 2oz., and their new Sidekick 3-Stage Straw Water Filter is the size of a pen and weighs just 1oz.!
- They are easy to use! Anything that I can hand to Trail Dad with no instructions is a HUGE win in my books. Seriously, these filters are foolproof. The Clear Flow Water Bottle is a 2-step process: fill, then drink. The Versa Flow Light-Weight Water Filter has an arrow right on it indicating the direction that the water must flow in. And the Sidekick 3-Stage Straw Water Filter is really just a fancy straw, and I should hope we all know how to use those! Using the Versa Flow Light-Weight Water Filter with a bucket in a gravity filtration system is a little more complicated, but HydroBlu has provided instructions accompanied by a diagram.
- They are durable & built for the outdoors! Really what I’m getting at with this point is that Huckleberry hasn’t done any damage to them yet. He has chucked the Clear Flow Water Bottle all over the place and there’s not even a scratch on it. The same can be said about the Versa Flow Light-Weight Water Filter. If it can pass the toddler test, it’s built tough!
- They are versatile! The Clear Flow Water Bottle lid and straw filter are designed to fit onto/into any standard straw-style water bottle. So should you already have a favourite bottle, or if blue isn’t your favourite colour, simply screw the lid/straw onto a bottle of your choice! And should you choose to use the bottle for everyday use and want to prolong the life of the filter, you can take the straw/filter out and save it for your adventures. The Versa Flow Light-Weight Water Filter is designed to fit onto any standard-sized plastic drink bottle (think pop bottle) but can also be used in-line with a hydration bladder (think Camelbak*), as a straw to drink straight from the source, or with the provided hose and bucket connector in a gravity filtration system. How many other water filtration products can do all of that?
- They have been rigorously tested & surpass standards for water filtration! Since I am not an expert in the science behind water filtration, I’ll quote directly from the HydroBlu website: “The Clear Flow has been rigorously tested and surpasses EPA standards for removing E. Coli, Giardia and Cryptosporidium, and many other waterborne contaminants. The Clear Flow filters down to 0.1 microns without the use of chemicals, iodine or batteries.” The Versa Flow is the same and both are designed differently from standard filters in that they have better water flow, and the ability to be backflushed thus prolonging their lifespan. Click here read more about the water filtration technology that HydroBlu uses.
- They do more than just remove waterborne contaminants! HydroBlu prides itself in going above and beyond to reduce heavy metals, remove the dirty taste, and improve the colour of the water. This way the filtered water is not only safe to drink but also looks and tastes good.
- They are “smart” & stop working when they “expire”! Once the Clear Flow filter has reached its capacity (1,500 liters / 400 gallons) it will no longer allow water to pass through it. The filter easily detaches from the bottle and can simply be replaced. When I first read about the lifespan of the filter, I wondered how I would know when it was “expired” – I don’t have to know, it does! And because the Versa Flow allows you to backflush the filter, clearing out all of the particulate and increasing the lifespan of the filter, you can use it almost indefinitely. This means no additional filters, cartridges, pumps, iodine drops, or batteries to ever buy again.
- They are an inexpensive option! Besides the LifeStraw, just about every water filtration system I can find online costs at least $50, but most of them are in the $100-$200 CAD range. The 3 products presented here range from $20-$35 CAD ($15-$25 USD) which is SO reasonable! There’s no reason not to grab one for each member of your family!
What we would change if we could:
- The Versa Flow Light-Weight Water Filter needs one further accessory. Using the Versa Flow Light-Weight Water Filter in-line with your hydration bladder requires you to cut your hydration bladder’s hose and fix the hose around either end of the filter. This is all good and great while you’re drinking unfiltered water, however, if you then fill your hydration bladder at home and no longer need the filter, you have a cut hose. If the Versa Flow Light-Weight Water Filter came with a hose connector for when you’re not using it, it would make it much more feasible to use in-line with a hydration bladder. We haven’t yet used it that way because I don’t want to cut the hose and then have it be useless when we don’t need the filter. However, you can simply remove the mouthpiece from the end of a hydration bladder’s hose and use the filter as a mouthpiece instead.
If you’re ready to take your outdoor adventures to the next level and grab yourself some HydroBlu water filtration products, then head to their site now and buy all the things! You can also shop at Amazon.com* and support my blog. If you are feeling lucky and want to try your hand at a giveaway, read on…
Just in time for summer, get your hands on a HydroBlu Clear Flow Water Bottle and Filter Combo AND a Versa Flow Light-Weight Water Filter. Enter using the form below and come back daily for extra entries. Good luck!
Terms & Conditions: Open to residents of Canada and the USA, 18 years of age or older. Confirmed winner(s) will be contacted via email and have 48 hours to respond or another winner will be drawn. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Prize fulfillment is the responsibility of the sponsor(s). Canadian winners must successfully complete a skill testing question. For questions or to see your product featured on Maman on the Trail blog contact Monica at http://www.mamanonthetrail.com/contact-me/
*Denotes an affiliate link. I make a very small commission when you shop through my affiliate links. Thank you for supporting the blog.