Back in the spring, I had the opportunity to review the MiaMily HIPSTER, and it made for some very happy hiking! This was just before the launch of the MiaMily HIPSTER Plus, and the only complaints we had about it had already been addressed in the new & improved model. Now that we have tried the MiaMily HIPSTER Plus, I can say that this carrier performs on and off the trail. In an effort to show you the versatility of this great babywearing device, I’ll focus this review on how much we love to use our MiaMily HIPSTER Plus when we’re not hiking. And if you’re interested in how it handles while hiking, you can read my original review and know that the MiaMily HIPSTER Plus outperforms the original HIPSTER.
Alright, let’s get down to business. And by business, I mean running errands. I try to be eco-friendly and tack all of my errands together in an order that requires the least amount of driving. Running several errands back-to-back means in and out of the car over and over again. This is all fine and dandy if you’re running them by yourself, but when does that ever happen? With a big baby (Huckleberry has weighed more than 20 pounds since May), getting in and out of the car, walking to and from stores, and carrying out tasks associated with running errands, can be quite cumbersome. That’s wear a baby carrier comes in real handy! But I don’t want just any baby carrier that I have to wrestle Huckleberry into and out of 17 different times in a day. I want something easy. I reach for our MiaMily HIPSTER Plus.
With the built-in seat and the ability the use just the hip belt, the MiaMily HIPSTER Plus makes running errands a dream! If I have a bit of a distance to walk, or a long errand like grocery shopping, I can strap him into the carrier on my back or front. If we’re at something like a doctor’s appointment or the library, where I need to take him out and put him back in a few times, I’ll let the straps dangle (or take the double-shoulder attachment off completely) and just sit him on the seat on my hip. That’s not something you can do with just any carrier!
It is so nice to have a hands-free option and a quick in-and-out option available in the same carrier. The Velcro on the hip belt makes it really easy to get the carrier on and adjusted for me, so I don’t mind putting it on and taking it off several times in an errand outing. Also, I can pack a diaper change in the seat and not have to bring the diaper bag! Seriously, this thing is genius!
Ok, I’ll stop babbling on about all of my mundane errands made exciting by such a unique baby carrier. Let’s get on with the show…
The Star of the Show: the MiaMily HIPSTER Plus featuring…
- Snap-on head cover (fits well in pocket when not in use).
- Chest clip with padding.
- Teething pads that wrap around straps and attach with snaps.
- Two-way shoulder strap adjustment so you can adjust from the front and the back.
- Double-shoulder carrier top with Duraflex buckles and auto-locking YKK zipper to attach carrier top to seat base (also found on single shoulder carrier top).
- Wide waist band with Velcro that fits up to 43 inches/110 cm. (Not pictured, but also available: extender belt for waists up to 59 inch/150 cm).
- Unique 3D hip seat with built-in storage. The hip seat base is intentionally built wide enough so that your baby’s hips rest in a healthy position, where his/her legs are lifted and supported at hip level and not hanging or dangling, thus allowing safe forward facing carry. The International Hip Dysplasia Institute has tested and approved the HIPSTER as a hip healthy product.
- Anti-slip guard and extra padding on 3D hip seat.
- (Not included with carrier) Single-shoulder carrier top with rotating buckle, shoulder pad and adjustable strap.
- Zippered detachable front pocket layer that creates 2 pockets (also found on double shoulder carrier top), reveals a mesh vent when detached.
- (Not included with carrier) Dual purpose front drool pad that gives baby a safe, clean place to teethe while also keeping the carrier clean.
- Foldable travel bag that is stored inside its own pocket.
- Side pocket, perfect for a cell phone.
What we love about our MiaMily HIPSTER Plus:
(above & beyond our original points)
- It is so easy to put on & take off! I can get it on and Huckleberry into it quickly and easily. And taking it off is just the same. This makes running errands a breeze with all of the on & off, in & out, etc. etc. etc.
- It is easy to get Baby into a back carry! You can definitely do the whole “start on your front or hip and swing baby around” thing, or you can lower baby onto the seat while it’s already on your back. Your choice…but either way, easy peasy lemon squeezey!
- It is great for babywearing newbies! Because the seat gives you somewhere to balance Baby while you put the straps on and adjust for a good fit, there is no awkward juggling or fear of Baby slipping out. This makes the MiaMily HIPSTER Plus an ideal carrier for those who are new to babywearing. Or people who don’t babywear very often.
- It is pretty & rugged! Some carriers are beautiful. Some carriers are utilitarian. The MiaMily HIPSTER Plus is both.
- It has a wide belt that offers excellent lumbar support! Anyone with a big baby knows that you need a carrier that is comfortable around the waist and hips, since that is where you need to carry most of the weight. The this carrier’s generous belt shares the weight evenly all the way around and not on the shoulders. It is so comfortable!
- It will last from infancy through toddlerhood! The MiaMily HIPSTER Plus is suitable for infants as young as 3 months (or once they have head control) up to 3 years (40 lbs.). And, with the new infant insert, you can carry your baby from birth. *After Huckleberry hit the 20-pound mark, we found that wearing him facing out was not sustainable for long periods.
- It is great for pregnancy or tandem babywearing! Although not intuitive because of the wide belt, the MiaMily HIPSTER Plus can be worn while pregnant and it can be paired with another carrier. This is great news for growing families!
- There are instruction videos! To get the most out of your MiaMily HIPSTER Plus, be sure to watch the tutorial videos available on their site.
- MiaMily gives back! Their slogan is “Change the world, one baby at a time”. For each carrier purchased, a can of formula is donated to an orphanage. And if that isn’t enough, the formula donated is sourced locally from vendors near each orphanage so that the community benefits even more and so that the formula complements local dietary needs. How cool is that?!
What we would change if we could:
- Some of the accessories are now aftermarket. With the original HIPSTER, the single shoulder carrier top and extender belt were included, now they are sold separately. Also, they have added an infant insert and front drool pad, which are also an extra cost. They do provide bundles with discounts, but I prefer that everything you need be included.
- The new bag is not as good. With the original HIPSTER, the travel bag was larger and zipped up; this allowed me to add a few extras to the bag and not lose anything out of it. I’m not a fan of the new smaller travel bag with the open top.
- It needs a clip on the belt for keys. I love that there’s a cell phone pocket on the belt, and a pocket on the carrier, plus there’s also the seat compartment. But, when you’re wearing Baby on your back, there’s no where to stick your keys. If there was a little clip with the cell phone pocket, I’d be a lot happier.
What is your favourite feature of the MiaMily HIPSTER Plus baby carrier?
This giveaway is coming just in time for back to school, cooler weather, and plenty of errands, I’m sure. Enter below for your chance to win a MiaMily HIPSTER Plus in your choice of in-stock colour. Come back for daily entries to increase your odds of winning. Good luck!
Terms & Conditions: Open to residents of Canada and the USA, 18 years of age or older. Confirmed winner(s) will be contacted via email and have 48 hours to respond or another winner will be drawn. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Prize fulfillment is the responsibility of the sponsor(s). Canadian winners must successfully complete a skill testing question. For questions or to see your product featured on Maman on the Trail blog contact Monica at http://www.mamanonthetrail.com/contact-me/