A note from Maman on the Trail:
Meet Kathryn, a human of the outdoors. Kathryn lives in Outer Banks, North Carolina and gets outdoors with her partner, Phil, and their dog, Chopper. Here is her story…
On her time outdoors…
I’m not quite sure where it started but I’ve been a nature lover ever since I can remember. These days I spend most of my outdoor time with my partner, Phil, and our dog, Chopper. Other times, it depends on where I am and who’s around. As for activities, kayaking and hiking are definitely my top picks! I love seeing new animals and plants and taking the time to learn how to identify each and every one of them! I prefer not to use technology while spending time in nature so I’m a traditionalist in that sense. But I’m a big fan of the Peterson Field Guides* for identifying plants and animals.
On the best places to see in North Carolina…
My top 5 for North Carolina are:
- Pea Island – a Wildlife Refuge on the Outer Banks, many days you can set up here and get a huge section of beach to yourself;
- Top Sail Island – span of beach where you can search for shark teeth;
- Creek Ridge Camping in Pisgah National Forest – a beautiful, mountainside campground;
- Navitat Canopy Adventure in Barnardsville – an EPIC zipline experience; and,
- Corolla (offroad vehicle access) – a roadless community with excellent wild horse sighting opportunities.
Bonus #6: our tree canopy level front porch in Kill Devil Hills 🙂
A little Q & A…
Q: What is your go-to adventure snack?
A: GORP! A.k.a. a homemade trail mix with a little bit of everything. My personal trail mix recipe is a combination of cranberries, dark chocolate, and a mix of nuts and seeds. One of my favourite seasonal spins on a GORP is candy corn, pretzels, cranberries and nuts.
Q: What piece of gear do you never leave the house without?
A: My Swiss Army Card*.
Q: What is your favourite nature quote, and who said it first?
A: “Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished.” ~Lao Tzu
Q: What one piece of advice would you share with someone who is wary of or new to the outdoors?
A: Let it all in!
Do you want to be featured as a Human of the Outdoors? Check out the Call for Entries and fill out the form today!
*Denotes an affiliate link. I make a very small commission when you shop through my affiliate links. Thank you for supporting the blog.