Are you ready to take your parenting to the next level? Then let’s head outside! Or, really, just to the Outdoor Mom Academy…and then the great outdoors!
You probably read the title of this post and thought “Pfft, I don’t need to LEARN to be an outdoor mom!” I’m not going to tell you that you’re wrong because you’re not. Simply momming in the outdoors makes you an outdoor mom! But you can’t possibly know everything there is to know about hiking, camping and adventuring from pregnancy through to the teenage years, now can you? I didn’t think so. We all have something to learn from each other when it comes to parenting, and especially when it comes to parenting in the outdoors. So read on if you think there’s value in the wisdom of other moms who have gone before us, other moms who have hiked, camped and adventured with children of all ages, other moms of the outdoors!
Back in May, Rebecca (Hike Like a Woman), Susan (Mountain Mom and Tots) and Amelia (Tales of a Mountain Mama) developed a course for outdoor moms of all skill and experience levels, and they called it the Outdoor Mom Academy. It was a HUGE success! So huge, in fact, that they are doing it again in September! Did you miss out the first time? Is this the first you’re hearing of it? Well, no worries, I’ll give you all the details and lead you right to the virtual registration desk with a $5 off coupon!
I had the opportunity to participate in the course the first time around and let me tell you – I learned SO MUCH! About myself, about the instructors, and of course, about parenting in the outdoors! If you enjoy getting outside while pregnant or with children in tow, and you feel you could use a few tips or a few new friends, then I highly recommend the Outdoor Mom Academy. It is 6 weeks of lessons jam-packed with tips, tricks, printables, activities, videos, lists, conversations and prizes!
Are you in? Read on, and then register*! (Psst…use the code OMA-MAMANONTHETRAIL for $5 off at checkout!)
What is the Outdoor Mom Academy?
The Outdoor Mom Academy is a 6-week online course designed specifically for the outdoor mom. Whether you’ve just ventured out into the world with your little one for the first time, or you’re heading out for your zillionth camping trip with your tweens in tow, this course is for you. In fact, even dads, grandparents, and other adventurous caregivers are encouraged to sign up!
“As outdoor bloggers, we’re often asked for advice about everything from camping with a newborn to analyzing and assessing risk in the outdoors. We love questions like this, in fact so much so that we developed this course. We’ll be the first to admit that we don’t know everything but we have been able to mentor tens of thousands of moms just like you.” ~ Rebecca, Susan & Amelia
The course runs from September 11th until October 22nd. Each Monday morning throughout the session, you will gain access to a new lesson on the online learning portal. The lessons will include videos, audio files, workbooks and PDF downloads focused on the topic of the week. And some in-depth and collaborative learning and discussions (plus giveaways!) will take place along the way in the exclusive Facebook group.
For just $99 you can access this incredible learning experience and more!
Registration includes 3 free ebooks (How To Hike When You’re Pregnant, How To Hike With Kids and Mountains to Ocean: A Visual Journey Along the National Park-to-Park Highway), an Outdoor Mom Academy patch for your pack or jacket, plus 6 chances to win a $25 gift card from REI. Use the code OMA-MAMANONTHETRAIL for $5 off when you register for the course*!
The topics to be covered are as follows:
LESSON #1: Raising Outdoor Leaders. This class will be taught by Amelia, Rebecca & Susan and break down adventuring with children through each age group from babies to high school students. (September 11-17)
LESSON #2: How to Pack What You Need. This class will be taught by Amelia and discuss how to decide what to put in your daypack and how to carry your gear + kids. (September 18-24)
LESSON #3: Family Adventures on a Budget. This class will be taught by Susan and discuss frugal ways to find quality outdoor clothing and gear and the expensive items to splurge on. (September 25-October 1)
LESSON #4: Family Camping Made Simple. This class will be taught by Susan, who actually took a 7-week camping trip with her family last summer. She’ll share her lessons learned, pro-tips and checklists. (October 2-8)
LESSON #5: Family First Aid. This class will be taught by Amelia and will go over what you really need in your first-aid kit and the most frequently used first-aid items for kids. (October 9-15)
LESSON #6: Identifying, Reducing and Managing Risk in the Outdoors. This class will be taught by Rebecca and discuss ways to keep kids safe but still allow for outdoor exploration and adventure. (October 16-22)
If you’re convinced, then register for the course* already! Don’t forget to use the code OMA-MAMANONTHETRAIL for $5 off!
Why did I sign up for the Outdoor Mom Academy?
You may be wondering why someone like myself might sign up for a course like this? But I am happy to admit that I am not expert and I love to learn from others! My son is only 20 months old, which means that I have only 9 months of experience when it comes to adventuring while pregnant, and 20 months of experience when it comes to adventuring with a little one. We’ve had some great adventures as a family, but there are so many little tips and tricks to make it a million times more enjoyable!
I can use all the help I can get when it comes to planning, preparing, choosing gear, packing, assessing risk, and raising a kid to love the outdoors. All of this extra knowledge has boosted my confidence as an outdoor mom and improved my ability to respond to the needs of my local Hike it Baby community members and global blog readership. I am passionate about the outdoors, about raising kids wild, and about helping others enjoy the outdoors with their families. The Outdoor Mom Academy is a great way to do all of the above and more!
I am also really excited about being more involved with the outdoor family community. The Outdoor Mom Academy has created a whole new network of moms just like me that I can connect with. After the course, there’s an alumni group we get to join where we share experiences, advice, ups and downs and motivate each other to keep on getting outside with our kids. Most days, I can say with certainty that I am #RockingMotherhood in the outdoors, but I have epic fails too. I always look forward to sharing my trials and triumphs with the Outdoor Mom Academy community and reading those of others to know that I am not alone.
If you feel at all the same way, you should register for the course*! (Another friendly reminder about that $5 off coupon…OMA-MAMANONTHETRAIL).
What did I learn from the Outdoor Mom Academy?
After the first session of the Outdoor Mom Academy, I learned a whole lot. I learned a lot about myself, about other outdoor moms, and about what goes into getting outside safely and happily with children. Everything from instilling in my child a great love for the outdoors to the finer art of packing a First Aid kit, this course covered it! The biggest highlights for me were…
- It was presented by REAL moms who shared REAL experiences! Amelia, Rebecca and Susan are REAL moms. They get outdoors with their children all the time, they have their fair shares of ups and downs, and they aren’t afraid to be 100% honest. How refreshing?! So don’t be discouraged by the picture perfect sh*t you see on social media, that’s not real, but the moms of the Outdoor Mom Academy are!
- I could work at my own pace! The first session came out during report card season for me, and this second session is during the back-to-school rush. But that’s ok because the lessons are made available each Monday and I can check them out when I’m ready. It doesn’t take more than 20 minutes to work through the video/audio lessons, read the bonus content, and make a little note of the homework prompts. And then, of course, you can involve yourself in the Facebook group as much as you’d like.
- I can redo the course at any time! I still have access to all of the videos, audio files, printables and bonus content, plus 3 ebooks – so I can refer back to the course whenever I need a refresher!
- I could choose video or audio! I loved that there was a choice of video or audio for each of the lessons. This gave me the option to access the content at home, on the go, visually or auditorily. Also, all of the key content was summarized in a handy worksheet for future reference, for learners who need to read, or for quick browsing when you don’t have time to get into it. Whatever your learning style or time allowance, this course will work for you!
- There were homework prompts! But no tests! I loved that each lesson came with a homework prompt, an easy way to put the lesson into practice immediately. These prompts were the basis for the discussions in the Facebook group and participation often lead to someone winning a prize!
- There was a TON of bonus content! I’m talking detailed item lists for First Aid kids, lists of games and activities to keep your children engaged on the trail, gear lists, discounts codes, resources and links. You get way more than you sign up for with the Outdoor Mom Academy.
- There were great giveaways! And this time around there will be a $25 gift card to REI given away every week! And with a maximum class size of 125, your chances of winning are quite high!
- I am now part of an exclusive online community of fellow outdoor moms! I can lean on this community when I need help, and celebrate with this community when I’ve rocked at being an outdoor mom. I can seek advice, troubleshoot, meet up with other families, and more! It really is an incredible thing to be a part of.
All of this is true of this second session as well… so register for the course*! (Psst, don’t forget that the code OMA-MAMANONTHETRAIL saves you $5).
What do you need to know before you register*?
- The Outdoor Mom Academy is going to be AWESOME!
- There is only room for 125 students, so don’t delay and register today*!
- You will receive 3 ebooks, an OMA patch, chances to win, membership to an exclusive online community and more when you pay $99 to register* (less $5 if you use my coupon code: OMA-MAMANONTHETRAIL)
- Registration closes on September 10th.
- The course starts on September 11th and ends on October 22nd.
- For more information check out the Outdoor Mom Academy website.
- If you are unhappy with the course, you have until October 1st to receive a full refund.
- You’re not in it alone. Not outdoor parenting, not this course, not anything. Come be part of an amazing community!
As moms, we deserve to be treated for all of our hard work and what better way is there to do that than with a glass of wine and some awesome online learning with other outdoor moms?
Join me for the Outdoor Mom Academy! And I’ll see you online!
*I am receiving free admission to the course in exchange for this post. For each person that uses my code at registration, I receive $5 for helping to promote the course. You can only use one code when registering for the course. All opinions remain my own.