I received these items at no cost to facilitate my review. All opinions remain my own.
Have you ever packed yourself a bottle filled with ice cold water for an adventure, gotten to your destination after slogging up a steep rocky hill in the humid air, taken a swig of your refreshment only to find that it wasn’t at all refreshing, but lukewarm, or worse, hot?
Have you ever packed yourself a hot chocolate as a treat after a snowshoe or toboggan ride, sat yourself down in the snow for your toasty warm beverage, only to find that it was no longer warm enough to warm you up?
Anyone who spends any amount of time outdoors knows the importance of staying hydrated. I mean, we can’t keep doing what we love to do after we let ourselves get dehydrated! And there’s nothing worse than packing a cold beverage to find it warm when you’re ready to drink it or vice versa. But Hydro Flask has you covered. Their innovative TempShield™ double wall insulation on all of their flasks protects the temperature of your flask contents from outside elements.
Cold stays icy cold up to 24 hours. Hot stays steaming hot up to 6 hours. No Sweat.
I often get irritable when I am dehydrated, and no one wants to hike with a cranky lady. So I pack a water bottle on every hike, even the shortest, leisurely strolls. But I was sick of sipping lukewarm water on hot summer hikes. I was frustrated by the fact that I would pack myself ice water in the morning and by the time I headed out on my hike after work, there was no ice left in my water. So when I discovered Hydro Flask through their sponsorship of the 365 Mile Challenge, I knew I had to give it a try. Well, I’ve been nothing but surprised and delighted by their products!
I received a 32 oz Wide Mouth Hydration Flask and a 12 oz Food Flask to test drive. Both of them are rugged and durable and have survived many a drop by my clumsy self and our overly helpful toddler. They’ve both kept contents cold and fresh for lengthy periods of time (we haven’t tried hot yet). And they are both such bright and fun colours! In fact, all of Hydro Flask’s products are a ton of fun and offer customization! Mix and match your water bottles, travel mugs, tumblers, beer and wine flasks, food flasks and more! Grab a variety of lids for all of your adventures! In fact, we have the wide mouth flex cap (which is surprisingly comfortable to carry, see above image and note that an adult can fit their hand in it) and the wide mouth straw lid (so Huckleberry can drink more easily from it) and use them both!
After reading how Annika of Born to Be Adventurous used her Food Flask to surprise her daughters with ice cream on a mountain top, I had to come up with a unique way to use ours! My idea was not nearly as delicious but so much fun! We picked worms in Nana’s garden before a 3-day camping trip. We tucked the worms and some compost into our 12 oz Food Flask and refrigerated it until our departure. And then, despite the +30ºc weather during our camping trip, we had wiggly worms to fish with and had a blast catching catfish! It was so great to be able to pack worms along without worrying about them drying out, stinking things up, or spilling into our gear.
The Stars of the Show: Hydro Flask 32 oz Wide Mouth Hydration Flask & 12 oz Food Flask featuring…
- Leak-free Wide Mouth Flex Cap – comes standard with your Hydration Flask, but can be swapped out for various other types of lids. The flexible handle is wide enough for an adult’s hand and is very comfortable for carrying.
- TempShield™ vacuum sealed double walled insulation eliminates condensation and keeps beverages cold up to 24 hours or hot up to 12 hours (steaming hot up to 6 hours).
- The lid on the Hydration Flask doesn’t screw into the bottle, but onto it, thus eliminating the need to leave space at the top for fear or pushing liquid out while putting the lid on. More space for more water!
- The lid on the food flask doesn’t screw into the flask and not onto it, so space is necessary. But the tight seal means no leaking in your pack or lunch!
What we love about our Hydro Flask products:
- Cold things stay cold! I put some ice water in our hydration flask in the morning, left it in the hot car all day while I was at work, and still had lots of ice left for my hike in the afternoon. Win!
- Hot things stay hot! I haven’t tested this myself yet, but with how well things stayed cold, I’d have to say I believe their claim when they say their flasks can keep hot things hot for up to 6 hours. We are excited for hot chocolate on the trails this fall and winter!
- They are durable products! They have been dropped too many times to count and have no scuff marks, scratches or dents to speak of. Plus, there’s a lifetime warranty! They will definitely be coming on all of our adventures!
- They are easy to pack along! The handle on the flex cap fits an adult’s hand perfectly for easy carrying, both the Food Flask and Hydration Flask fit in the side pocket of a backpack, and because they don’t leak, you can toss them anywhere!
- They don’t leak! Yeah, this deserves its own point. I love love love that they don’t leak! We bring the water bottle into the tent with no worries about it being knocked around in the night because it won’t leave any puddles. The lids screw on tight and nothing gets out or in!
- They are customizable! They are so many colours and styles to choose from and you can mix and match flasks and lids to your heart’s content. In fact, there are 183,456 unique combinations, according to Hydro Flask.
- They keep us hydrated and happy! And what more can you ask for? I got to surprise my son with worms on a camping trip, and I’m sure I’ll also surprise him with ice cream on a mountain top too. But in the meantime, they allow us to pack cold water on all of our adventures, and fun snacks too!
What we would change if we could:
- The Wide Mouth Hydration Flask doesn’t fit in a cup holder. This isn’t a dealbreaker by any means. It fits just fine in the water bottle holder on our packs, and because it doesn’t leak, I don’t mind it rolling around on the floor of our car. But I think we’d use it more in the car, on the way to and from our adventure destinations, if it were to fit in a standard cup holder. All of the standard mouth bottles look slimmer and may fit. And I’ve learned that the 21 oz standard mouth bottle, coffee flasks and tumblers fit, thanks to the advice of a friend!
Are you ready to live refreshed? Then gear up on all of the Hydro Flask products at HydroFlask.com. If you’re local to Kingston, you can shop Hydro Flask at Trailhead Kingston. And if you want to support my blog with your purchase, shop at Amazon.com*.
What will you put in your Hydro Flask?
I consider my Hydro Flask Hydration Flask a summer essential for the nursing mom. It helps me stay hydrated on the go so that I can nurse my toddler wherever, whenever. You can read more about my summer essentials for the nursing mom on the Figure 8 Moms Blog.
*Denotes an affiliate link. I make a very small commission when you shop through my affiliate links. Thank you for supporting the blog.