I received this item at no cost to facilitate my review. All opinions remain my own.
Last summer I decided I could go the cheap/lazy route and just use my same old bikini as a nursing bikini. I mean, how hard is it to pull it up or down when Huckleberry needs to nurse? Well, it wasn’t difficult, but it was awkward and uncomfortable and not discrete in the least. By the time I was frustrated enough to do something about it and home long enough to think about it, it was too late in the season and seemed silly to splurge. Well, let’s just say that I learned from that and when I was still breastfeeding the little man going into this summer, I grabbed myself a Boob Design Fast Food Tankini* from Figure 8 Maternity* and am in love! Thinking back on last summer is funny now that I am comfortable in my new nursing swimsuit and not dreading waterside nursing sessions.
We spend a lot of time near the water. We have a communal backyard pool, a few family cottages, and love camping next to small lakes. This means that I spend a lot of time just sitting around in a swimsuit, casually dipping in when I’m too hot, but mostly just soaking up the sun. And since Huckleberry’s been out of daycare, he has rediscovered his love for milk on-demand and is nursing as often as I’ll let him (which would be every 10 minutes if I’d allow it, haha). So there was no way that I could go another summer faking it ’til I made it in an old bikini, unless I wanted to go absolutely crazy. Thank goodness for me Boob Design Fast Food Tankini*!
One of my favourite features of this nursing swimsuit is that the tankini top can essentially be worn as a nursing tank and I can just slip on a pair of shorts over the bottoms. This makes it easy to comfortably spend the day in my Boob Design Fast Food Tankini* no matter where the day takes me. I can dip in the lake, then wrangle a toddler, then nurse him, then sit around and chat, then dip again. It’s great – I feel no need to cover up because it offers so much coverage. But it’s still quite flattering in its full coverage!
I’ve found my Boob Design Fast Food Tankini* to be great for hiking and camping, as it packs small and wears well (it’s quite durable!), as well as for the usual cottage, pool, and beach adventures. If a tankini isn’t your style, there’s also a one-piece nursing swimsuit* in the same style.
I honestly don’t know why I waited so long to get a nursing swimsuit. It’s such a game-changer! I’ve gone from dreading a day on the water to finding excuses to wear my Boob Design Fast Food Tankini* even when I don’t intend to swim. And the folks at Figure 8 Maternity* were so lovely in helping me pick out a nursing swimsuit, recommending their favourites and helping me with the sizing. They made shopping online not feel like it was online at all!
The Star of the Show: Boob Design Fast Food Tankini* featuring…
- Thin adjustable and detachable straps with nickel-free details – can be crisscrossed, worn halter-neck or removed altogether.
- Flattering cinch that almost makes the top “sweetheart” in cut.
- Adjustable drawstring to get a good fit while nursing or while pregnant. Can be undone to allow easier nursing access.
- The overlap across the bust makes nursing easy, comfortable and discreet. It opens simply with one hand, leaving the other free to hold your baby.
- Fast-drying, chlorine-resistant material that is 92% polyamide and 8% elastane (the tankini in colour ink blue is made from 78% recycled polyamide and 22% elastane), and certified according to STANDARD 100 by OEKO-TEX®.
- Loose-fitting, long, flattering top with double function for pregnancy and nursing.
- Thin seam that doesn’t dig in or pinch.
- Wide bottoms that don’t ride up.
What I love about my Boob Design Fast Food Tankini*:
- It is comfortable! If something isn’t comfortable, I am not going to wear it. Period. I choose function over fashion, and comfort over everything else. Thankfully, this nursing swimsuit has it all! With the ability to adjust the straps any way that I like and tie the drawstring across the front, I found it very easy to get comfortable in. It dries quickly, too, which adds to the comfort level. I also find it doesn’t ride up anywhere – the body of it is loose fitting (to accommodate a belly) and the bottoms are wide enough that I wasn’t tugging them back into place all the time.
- It is functional! With one hand, I can easily and discretely open the top to nurse my son. After spending last summer awkwardly and uncomfortably (both physically and socially, lol) whipping a whole boob out to breastfeed, I am most excited about how functional this nursing swimsuit is. Most times people around us didn’t even notice that I was nursing!
- It is fashionable! Cute and flattering in design, you can breastfeed in style with this nursing swimsuit. I love the way the top is cinched, that I can tie it a little tighter or looser as I please, and that it just sort of hangs down my body. Yes, it will fit differently over a growing belly, but I love that it is long enough to partly cover the bottoms and that I can play with the straps for different looks.
- It is durable! The fabric on it is thicker than most swimsuits – yet still quick drying and lightweight. I didn’t hesitate to sit down on the rocks with Huckleberry. I wasn’t worried about it snagging on the rough ground on nearby bramble. Despite not being designed for an adventurous lifestyle, it sure fits with one! Oh, and it is made with chlorine-resistant material, too!
- It is dual-purpose! Whether you are nursing or growing a little one (or both) this swimsuit is for you! The top is designed for easy nursing access, but also a pregnant belly. And the bottoms will fit regardless.
- It is versatile! Spaghetti straps, crisscross, halter top or strapless – the detachable feature of the straps allows you to make this tankini fit with your style. I prefer crisscross because there’s less fussing, but love that I can change that whenever I want!
- It is eco-responsible! The tankini in the ink blue colour (like mine) is made from 78% recycled polyamide. Also, Boob Design takes great care to follow sustainable production practices.
What I would change if I could:
- It is only available in 2 colours. Ink blue or black. Both very dark. Their one-piece swimsuit is also available in a burgundy colour. It would be great if both swimsuits were available in all 3 colours, or even a 4th, like teal or even polka dots! Something fun.
It’s not too late to grab a nursing swimsuit and save yourself some frustration this season – plus you can use it on your vacations over the winter and through your next pregnancy! If you’re shopping from the US and/or want to support my blog with your purchase, shop for a Boob Design Fast Food Tankini* from Figure 8 Maternity* (affiliate links). If you’re shopping from Canada, check out the new Canadian Figure 8 Mom shop.
What is your favourite feature of the Boob Design Fast Food Tankini*?
Want to treat yourself to some nursing or maternity wear from Figure 8 Maternity*? There’s a $50 Gift Card up for grabs and one lucky reader can spend it all on herself! Enter using the widget below. This giveaway is open to Canada & the US and will close at 11:59pm EST on August 25th. Good luck!
Terms & Conditions: Open to residents of Canada and the USA, 18 years of age or older. Confirmed winner(s) will be contacted via email and have 48 hours to respond or another winner will be drawn. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Prize fulfillment is the responsibility of the sponsor(s). Canadian winners must successfully complete a skill testing question. For questions or to see your product featured on Maman on the Trail blog contact Monica at http://www.mamanonthetrail.com/contact-me/
*Denotes an affiliate link. I make a very small commission when you shop through my affiliate links. Thank you for supporting the blog.