I received this item at no cost to facilitate my review. All opinions remain my own.
Huckleberry has always been incredibly talented at napping on the go. We’ve never avoided adventure because it was nap time, knowing that we could guarantee a trail or car nap while out and about. However, when we moved from mostly using our Onya Baby soft-structured carrier to using our Deuter Kid Comfort 3 framed carrier, the naps didn’t come as easily. It seemed like there was a little too much space and he didn’t feel as cozy way up there in that throne. There was even one particular hike where he so desperately needed to nap but wailed the entire time instead. So. Much. Fun.
When he did eventually get comfortable enough to nap in the framed carrier from time to time, his head would hang at awkward angles and make me a little uncomfortable. It was never unsafe, but I worried he would wake up sore. So I started looking for a solution, and I found Ellie Ears. I was so excited at all of the different ways that we could use Ellie Ears, with Huckleberry on and off the trails, and with a new little trail baby in the future, I needed to get my hands on some!
In our adventures so far with our Ellie Ears Positional Support Pillow, we’ve been nothing but happy! Huckleberry never complains about them hanging over his shoulders, and we’ve learned to attach them with our Lil’ Sidekick multi-purpose tether just in case he decides to toss them. He has happily napped on them a few times, and drooled all the way down my back. And we’ve even used them to help create his own designated sleeping space in the tent. We love that the Ellie Ears pack small and come in handy on the trail. But they can be used for so much more than that!
According to the description on the Ellie Ears website, “Ellie Ears is a positional support pillow that is simple to use! Use them with infants in supported seating, baby carriers, on the floor or change pad, for side lying and tummy time, and with toddlers to school-aged children using supported seating. Ellie Ears are held in place by the child’s body weight alone, and rest in the natural empty space at the back of the neck, when used in the seated or upright position. Pediatric physiotherapists and chiropractors endorse Ellie Ears, as they assist in prevention and treatment of ailments including torticollis and plagiocephaly in infants.”
Keep in mind though that as with almost all child products, there are safe and unsafe ways to use them. It is recommended that you not use them in the car seat or the crib. And Ellie Ears should always be used under the supervision of a responsible caregiver.
The Star of the Show: Ellie Ears Positional Support Pillow featuring…
- Soft cushiony positional support “ears” that sit on child’s shoulders or beside infant’s head.
- Thin section that rests in the natural empty space behind the neck.
- Outer: 100% cotton fabric in a variety of prints. Stuffing: 100% polyester.
What we love about our Ellie Ears Positional Support Pillow:
- It is simple yet effective! There’s not much to this pillow but it does it’s job. The simplicity makes it easy to use, easy to take along, easy to clean, and so on. Yet no corners were cut, it is safe and effective.
- It supports our lifestyle! Anything that supports us getting out on the trails with our little one in tow gets a big “thumbs up” from me! I feel so much better about trail naps in our framed carrier, and love having an easy-to-pack camping pillow for our little man.
- It is versatile! Carrier, stroller, change pad, floor, bouncy chair and more – there are so many places that you can use your Ellie Ears Positional Support Pillow.
- It is small and lightweight! It adds little extra bulk and no extra weight for us to bring it along on a hiking or camping trip. This makes it an ideal addition to our gear list!
- It is made in Canada! I love love love small Canadian brands – especially those run by fellow outdoorsy moms like myself!
What we would change if we could:
- It doesn’t come with its own tether. Obviously, with it being so versatile, there many not be many folks talking their Ellie Ears out on the trail, so this isn’t a deal breaker. But it would be great if there was a coordinating tether, much like a soother clip or something along those lines, so that it could be attached to the carrier or stroller. But in the meantime, our Lil’ Sidekick multi-purpose tether is doing the trick.
To shop for Ellie Ears, as well as matching teethers, sensory toys, blankets and more, you can head to EllieEars.com. If you want to support a shop more local to you, there’s a stockist list you can refer to for shopping closer to home. Happy hiking!
How will you use your Ellie Ears Positional Support Pillow?
Would you like to win your very own Ellie Ears Positional Support Pillow? Of course you would! Enter using the widget below, and then come back again tomorrow for more entries. Giveaway is open to Canada and the USA and will close at 11:59pm EST on August 21st. Good luck!
Terms & Conditions: Open to residents of Canada and the USA, 18 years of age or older. Confirmed winner(s) will be contacted via email and have 48 hours to respond or another winner will be drawn. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Prize fulfillment is the responsibility of the sponsor(s). Canadian winners must successfully complete a skill testing question. For questions or to see your product featured on Maman on the Trail blog contact Monica at http://www.mamanonthetrail.com/contact-me/