I received these items at no cost to facilitate my review. All opinions remain my own.
Kirby the Trail Dog doesn’t often get doted on these days. He still tags along on all of our adventures, but our attention is elsewhere. Don’t feel too sorry for him though, because even if we don’t spoil him rotten the way we used to, others still do! From visiting grandparents to strangers at the park, Kirby gets lots of love. And most recently, he was treated to a brand new custom-made paracord leash & collar from the folks at REM Designs.
This stunning collar & leash combo gets him even more attention when we’re out and about! The bright and beautiful colours, intricate design and uniqueness of these pieces have people of all ages stopping to admire and ask questions. Where did we get it? What is it made from? Is it strong? Is it comfortable? How does it hold up when it’s wet? Well, I’ll try to answer all of those questions in this here review, and then perhaps when you’re out on an adventure with your decked out dog, you can spread the word!
First of all, what is paracord? According to Wikipedia, paracord (or parachute cord) “is a lightweight nylon kernmantle rope originally used in the suspension lines of parachutes. This cord is useful for many other tasks and is now used as a general purpose utility cord by both military personnel and civilians. This versatile cord was even used by astronauts during the 82nd Space Shuttle mission to repair the Hubble Space Telescope. The braided sheath has a high number of interwoven strands for its size, giving it a relatively smooth texture. The all-nylon construction makes paracord fairly elastic.” So that answers a few of the above questions: the leash & collar are made from paracord, yes it is very strong, and yes it is quite smooth and comfortable. Available in all sorts of colours (including multicolour and reflective blends) as well as a variety of weaves (braids and knots), REM Designs uses paracord to make leashes, collars, harness, halters, reins, lead ropes, training lanyards, toys and more!
The Stars of the Show: REM Designs Paracord Leash & Collar featuring…
- 550 nylon paracord, military grade.
- Small metal D-ring on collar for attaching tags and leash.
- Metal swivel bolt snap/leash clip for attaching leash to collar.
- Aluminum side-release buckle.
- Custom-made 5′ dog leash in a “cobra” weave.
- Large metal D-ring on leash to secure leash handle in a loop.
- Metal swivel bolt snap/leash clip for securing leash handle around a tree, post, etc.
- Custom added traffic handle for quickly holding dog at a short distance.
- Loop leash handle created by attaching swivel snap bolt to D-ring.
What we love about our REM Designs Paracord Leash & Collar:
- It is thin but tough! I mean, this stuff was made for parachutes! This 550 nylon paracord is thin but very strong. Even with several strands braided together, the leash & collar are still quite thin and low-profile.
- It was custom-made for us! The leash is exactly the length we like, there’s a traffic handle, and we picked out the colours. Choose your own size, length, style and colours for the perfect custom pet products!
- It has a traffic handle! We had this feature added on because we love being able to quickly rein Kirby in when we come upon another dog, wildlife or difficult terrain. It is a safety feature that also adds an element of ease and good manners.
- It works as a leash or tether! The bolt snap (clip) on the handle end of the leash allows us to unclip the handle and re-attach it around a tree, picnic table, pole or otherwise, turning the leash into a tether when we’re taking a trailside break or hanging out at a campsite.
- It is beautiful! The multicoloured paracord paired with the royal blue is stunning! I get a little spring in my step when we use this leash and we get a ton of compliments from passersby. And if these colours aren’t your thing, find your own perfect combination!
- It is handmade in Ontario! Just a few hours from Kingston, the REM Designs family makes high quality handmade paracord pet products in their home. That’s almost as local as it gets!
- It can be a survival tool! Have you seen the rash of paracord survival bracelets out there? The idea is that you wear a braided paracord bracelet, very similar to this leash & collar, and in case of various emergency scenarios, you can unravel the bracelet and put the paracord to use in other ways. It can be a shoelace, you can tie up gear or make a shelter, you can make a split or tourniquet, and so much more! These products could work the same way if necessary.
What we would change if we could:
- The collar is not size-adjustable. Kirby neck size changes as he gets shaggier, this making the collar fit a little too snugly right before a much-needed hair cut. Perhaps we should’ve simply ordered the collar a little bigger than we needed, but not being able to adjust the size ourselves means that sometimes Kirby doesn’t wear this fancy new collar. This also means that you should wait until your dog is fully grown before measuring his neck for a custom collar.
If you are interested in your own quality custom-made paracord pet products then you can use the “Contact” page on their site or head to their Facebook page to place an order. You can also check out the REM Designs Instagram feed for inspiration – they post all of their beautiful handmade pieces there.
What will you have made for your adventurous pets?
Who wants to win a custom leash for their adventurous dog? Use the widget below to enter for your chance to win a made-to-order paracord leash for your favourite four-legged friend. You can completely customize the leash to a maximum value of $60 CAD. This giveaway is open to Canadian residents only and will close at midnight EST on July 21st. Good luck!
Terms & Conditions: Open to residents of Canada, 18 years of age or older. Confirmed winner(s) will be contacted via email and have 48 hours to respond or another winner will be drawn. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Prize fulfillment is the responsibility of the sponsor(s). Canadian winners must successfully complete a skill testing question. For questions or to see your product featured on Maman on the Trail blog contact Monica at http://www.mamanonthetrail.com/contact-me/