I received these items at no cost to facilitate my review. All opinions remain my own.
As a family who spends so much time enjoying the outdoors, it is very important to us to be as green as we can. We are striving to live a more eco-friendly life, make more eco-conscious decisions, and adopt a minimalist lifestyle, but these changes don’t happen overnight. We are slowly trying to replace disposable products with reusable ones, and in some cases we are choosing the reusable version first. Like, for example, reusable food pouches! We didn’t even start buying the disposable versions and opted instead for refillable, reusable, eco-friendly food pouches from the get go.
Thanks to Katie at Bumbini Cloth Diaper Company*, we have a set of 4 of Bummis Reusable Food Pouches that we use at home, on the go, and on the trail! And I say “we” because we all use them! Who says they’re just for babies?! Yes, they store and serve baby food quite well, but you can also fill them with overnight oats, chia pudding, apple sauce, yogurt & berries, smoothies, and more! They’ve come in handy at restaurants, on road trips, as a back-up when Huckleberry decides he doesn’t like what’s for dinner, even in my lunch at work. We can’t wait to pack them on longer hiking, and even camping, trips this year.
They are easy to fill, easy to clean, easy to freeze, and easy to transport. Oh, and did I mention they are just $2.50 each? Seriously, why doesn’t everyone have a set of Bummis Reusable Food Pouches? Whenever we head out the door and know we’ll be eating on the go, we throw our Bummis Reusable Food Pouch, Bummis Best Ever Sleeved Bib, plus usually a spoon and sippy cup, into our small Bummis Fabulous Wet Bag and we’re all set. We love our Bummis Fabulous Wet Bag because the snap loop handle allows up to attach it to a high chair, stroller, or otherwise, so that it’s all easy to access. How many times have I said “easy” now?
The Star of the Show: Bummis Reusable Food Pouches featuring…
- Wide zippered opening at the top of the pouch for easy filling and cleaning
- Twist off cap that fits snug so that it won’t come off accidentally
- Fun nature-themed pictures (squirrel, fox, flamingo and dinosaur)
- Clear plastic pouch for easy identification of contents
- Excited and confused trail dog who thought these pouches were for him
- BPA, PVC and phthalates free plastic that is dishwasher and freezer safe
- Small Bummis Fabulous Wet Bag perfect for packing all of your mealtime accessories on the go
What we love about our Bummis Reusable Food Pouches:
- They are easy to fill! The wide opening at the top of the pouch allows for easy filling. I can fit our 1/8-cup measuring cup right into the pouch without an issue, and I can also pour from our larger measuring cups. The pouch capacity is 250mL.
- They are easy to clean! Also thanks to the wide opening at the top of the pouch, cleaning is an easy task. We use our bottle brush to reach the corners and into the mouth opening. Even Trail Dad, who gets frustrated with piddly things, says washing these food pouches is easy work.
- It is easy to identify their contents! The pouches, although decorated with fun animal pictures, are see-through, so you can quickly and easily identify what is inside each of them. This is very helpful when you make too much of something, it doesn’t get eaten, and you toss it in the freezer only to rediscover it a month later.
- They are versatile! Designed for baby food, these pouches can be used for so much more than that! As I mentioned above, you can also fill them with overnight oats, chia pudding, apple sauce, yogurt & berries, smoothies, and more! In my mind, I can see us using them for condiments or nut butters on camping trips, or even for something like toothpaste or sunscreen! I’ve also seen folks use them for icing cookies and painting (with a sponge tucked into the mouth opening).
- They are freezer & dishwasher safe! We don’t have a dishwasher, but for some people that’s an important feature. We do love that they are freezer safe though, so anything we don’t finish within a day or so can be tossed into the freezer to be consumed at a later date.
- They are eco-friendly! Fill them, use them, wash them, fill them again! It doesn’t get much greener than that!
- They are BPA, PVC and phthalates free! I like knowing what is entering my body and the bodies of my family members. I don’t want weird things leaching into our snacks. So knowing that the plastic these pouches are made from is as safe as it gets, makes me feel good about using them over and over and over again.
- They are nature-themed! Squirrels! And foxes! And flamingos! And dinosaurs? Ok, so maybe dinosaurs don’t typically fall into a “nature” theme, but they are cute!
- Bummis is a Canadian brand! Although the Reusable Food Pouches aren’t made in Canada, the Fabulous Wet Bag is and Bummis is a Canadian brand. Most of their products are made in Québec and I do love supporting local brands and businesses. Also, Bumbini Cloth Diaper Company* is a small cloth diaper and eco-parenting store just a few short hours from me in the lovely, riverside town of Almonte, Ontario – even more local!
What we would change if we could:
- The lids can be overtightened. I am not sure if this is a “locking” feature or not, but you can twist the caps past where I think they should stop, and they make a clicking sound, and the plastic around the edge of the cap gets pushed out a little bit. This doesn’t seem to cause any damage and doesn’t make it difficult to twist open the cap the next time, but I did find it a little strange.
Have I sold you on some Bummis Reusable Food Pouches from Bumbini Cloth Diaper Company*? They are not just for food and definitely not just for babies. Grab a set of 4 and you will quickly realize you could use twice as many and wonder how you ever lived without them!
What will you fill your Bummis Reusable Food Pouches with?
*Denotes an affiliate link. I make a very small commission when you shop through my affiliate links. Thank you for supporting the blog.