I received these items at no cost to facilitate my review. All opinions remain my own.
I have been looking for a natural deodorant that I don’t hate for a while now. You know, one that I can wear to work AND while hiking, one that doesn’t leave me stinking before the day is over, one that isn’t too greasy or too thick, one that I don’t have to apply with my fingers, one that isn’t going to do weird things to my clothing – is that too much to ask for in a natural deodorant? I thought it might be, and had given up trying to find one I was happy with, and settled for a mainstream deodorant that worked for me. And then this popped up in my Instagram newsfeed…
In early December we made a new deodorant with a completely new formula. It is lavender cedarwood and the reviews have been amazing. Our deodorants have always gotten incredible reviews but this one is next level. We are having our graphic designer make a fancy label for it soon so we can get it up on the website. It smells awesome and thus far it is lasting all day under regular life conditions. We are really excited about this deodorant and can’t wait to get it online for everyone to try ♡♡♡ . . . . . #lavender #cedarwood #vegan #noanimaltesting #deodorant #aluminumfree #chemicalfree #bestdeodorant #naturaldeodorant #ygk #kingstonontario #vegandeodorant #vegansofig #veganlifestyle #veganskincare #luxury #cleanbeauty #beautyproducts #beautyaddict #armpit #healthyskin #healthyliving #instalike #naturalista #naturalskincare #greenbeauty #botanical #plantbased #govegan #smellsgood
I immediately commented on it, asking if Casey, the woman behind Shiva’s Delight, would be interested in a local blogger review of her Lavender Cedarwood Vegan All-Natural Deodorant, and she responded with an enormous “YES”, a stick of the best deodorant ever and a bag of sample-sized goodies to pamper myself with! Since then, I have been rigorously (haha) testing this amazing deodorant on and off the hiking trail. I have put it to the test on long and stressful days at school, and I still smelled like lavender and cedarwood by day’s end. I have put it to the test on short, easy hikes and longer, more physically demanding hikes, and still enjoyed having my nose less than a foot away from my armpits. I have been nothing but pleased since making the switch; in fact, and my old deodorant is still sitting on my dresser half-full and collecting dust. When looking for a natural deodorant that I don’t hate, I ended up finding one that I love, all thanks to Shiva’s Delight!
Shiva’s Delight is a line of vegan eco luxurious skin care products made right here in Kingston, Ontario (literally a 5-minute walk from our apartment!) that includes: facial cleansers, serums, balms, scrubs and masks, bath bombs, soap bars, body scrubs and butters, plus an entire men’s line, and more! The products that I have been lucky enough to try, on top of the deodorant, are:
- All-Purpose Healing Balm: the perfect addition to any outdoorsy parent’s arsenal, this balm is great for cuts, burns, scrapes, bruises, dry skin, eczema, scars, bug bites, chapped lips and so much more! We should probably buy a tub of it!
- Lemon Poppyseed Soap Bar: a super sudsy, gentle, exfoliating soap in which you can actually see the lemon zest, and of course, the poppy seeds.
- Rose French Clay Beauty Bar: this is my favourite facial soap so far, I don’t know what magical powers went into it, but my skin is finally starting to look amazing again after all of the post-pregnancy hormonal torture it has gone through.
- Tea Tree Juniper Beauty Bar for the Face and Body: as someone who suffers from adult acne (yay!), I am a huge fan of any skin products with tea tree oil in them, and this soap does not disappoint. It has antibacterial, antiseptic, anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory properties and yet leaves the skin feeling oh-so-soft!
- Moor Mud Beauty Bar for the Face: this soap is perfect for those wanting a mud mask without the time. It shrinks pores, smooths wrinkles, combats acne, and rejuvenates the skin, ahhhhh.
- Rosehip French Clay Mask: invite all of your gal pals over and have yourselves an at-home spa day. This mask is amazing and so easy to use – it is sold as a powder (so it won’t dry out) and you simply place one or two teaspoons of powdered mask into palm of hand, add small amount of water to form a paste, massage onto skin, let dry then rinse. Voilà!
- Lemongrass Jasmine Bath Bomb: what is a bath without a bath bomb? And these bath bombs are the bomb! I’m not one to soak in the tub very often, I did while pregnant, but I just don’t have the patience most of the time. There are days, however, and you know the days I’m talking about, when a hot soak in the tub is necessary, and a bath bomb is the cherry on top!
- Rosemary Foot Balm: a hiker’s feet are very important and whether you are routinely moisturizing your beloved tootsies, giving yourself a pedicure, or soothing some cracked dry skin, this foot balm is there to help!
- Coconut Sugar Scrub (not listed online): mmmm! It smells incredible, exfoliates like a boss, and can be used from head to toe!
The Star of the Show: Shiva’s Delight Vegan All-Natural Lavender Cedarwood Deodorant featuring…
What I love about my Shiva’s Delight Vegan All-Natural Lavender Cedarwood Deodorant:
- It actually works! And this is obviously a huge factor in why I love Shiva’s Delight Vegan All-Natural Lavender Cedarwood Deodorant. I’ve used it everyday since receiving it and it has stood the test against stressful days at school and challenging days on the trail. I haven’t looked back at my mainstream deodorant yet.
- It is all-natural AND vegan! It is made with a combination of natural and organic ingredients and is free of aluminum, parabens, phthalates, propylene glycol, sodium laurel sulfates, synthetic fragrances and dyes. The best part is that I recognize EVERY ingredient in the list, nothing fancy or mysterious: organic shea butter, arrowroot powder, organic coconut oil, organic olive oil, baking soda, organic castor seed oil, organic tea tree essential oil, and a custom essential oil blend.
- It smells amazing but subtle! Lavender and cedarwood combine to make a lovely, calming, floral and woody scent that is delightful but not overwhelming. I can’t handle strongly scented products and so I really appreciate the low-key and gender neutral scent.
- It is unisex! Not that I have any intention of sharing, because I love this deodorant a little too much, but the floral/woody subtle scent combination make this deodorant perfect for men or women. The benefit I see here is: one less thing to pack on the trail!
- It doesn’t leave a mark on my clothes! There are enough reasons to change and/or wash my clothes more often than I would like to without adding deodorant stains to the list.
- It is easy to apply! It comes in a roll-up stick just like mainstream deodorant – no smearing a paste into your pits with your fingers, no using a liquid roll-on only to have more of it end up on your shirt that your skin – easy peasy!
- A little goes a long way! This is true of all of the products I have tried so far. It doesn’t take much to get the job done, which means everything lasts a little longer.
- It is made locally! If you know me, you know I adore products that are made in Canada, but how cool is it that I can almost see Casey’s house from my apartment? Our evening neighbourhood walk takes us past the place where she creates all of these amazing skin care products. You can’t get much more local than that!
What I would change if I could:
- It costs twice the price of mainstream deodorant. And this comes with it being made in small batches with high-quality, natural and organic products, so it isn’t a real complaint. Also, if you read above, a little goes a long way. I will happily pay for a long-lasting, locally-made, eco-friendly, vegan and all-natural deodorant, no matter the price, especially if it works, but obviously on a tight budget, you have to prioritize and maybe deodorant doesn’t make the cut for you.
If you would love to treat yourself to spa quality vegan eco luxurious skin care products, then do it! You don’t need anyone’s permission. Visit Shiva’s Delight online or check out the list of retailers to find a store in Kingston, Gananoque or Whitby. And then book yourself some serious “me time”. Oh, and of course, buy all the deodorant and take a hike!
Which Shiva’s Delight product are you most keen to try?
Feeling lucky? Check out this sweet giveaway…
Here is your chance to win your choice of Shiva’s Delight Vegan All-Natural Deodorant PLUS All-Purpose Healing Balm. The giveaway is open to residents of Canada & the USA and closes at midnight EST on Tuesday, March 21st, 2017. You can enter the giveaway using the widget below. Good luck!
Terms & Conditions: Open to residents of Canada and the USA, 18 years of age or older. Confirmed winner(s) will be contacted via email and have 48 hours to respond or another winner will be drawn. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Prize fulfillment is the responsibility of the sponsor(s). Canadian winners must successfully complete a skill testing question. For questions or to see your product featured on Maman on the Trail blog contact Monica at http://www.mamanonthetrail.com/contact-me/