I received these items at no cost to facilitate my review. All opinions remain my own.
We are a “rain or shine” family, which also means that we get outside whether it’s +35˚c or -35˚c. In order to do this successfully, though, we need some “tools”. There’s an old Norwegian saying, “There’s no bad weather, only bad clothing.” So to make good weather, we need good clothing. Wee Woollies has helped us with that this winter (and will continue to do so all year long). How you ask? Well, with a pair of their amazing merino wool pyjamas, of course! Pyjamas? YES! You read me right. They make some pretty incredible wool jammies that double as a base layer for your wee ones. And because they are merino wool, your wee one can wear them all year long without ever being too hot or too cold.
The merino wool used by Wee Woollies is…
- Super soft
- All season
- Temperature regulating
- Moisture wicking
- Odour resistant
- Stain resistant
- Naturally flame-resistant
- 100% natural
- Machine washable
- And offers high UV protection
And your child can roll out of bed and onto the trail. What more could you ask for in your children’s clothing? Perhaps that it come in your size as well. I’d like that.
Wee Woollies merino wool base layers are available as a one-piece sleeper, a two-piece pyjama set, a long-sleeve bodysuit and leggings set, or separately as a long-sleeve bodysuit, short-sleeve bodysuit, singlet, leggings, t-shirt or sleep gown. They also make beanies, sleep sacks and blankets. We currently have the 12-24 months sleeper and a small beanie and have so much room to grow in both of them. Huckleberry wears both of these items as his base layer pretty much every time we step outside. And to be perfectly honest, he’s been wearing them both since November, and I think I’ve laundered them maybe twice, not more than that. And they show NO signs of wear and tear.
We are confident that Huckleberry is warm and snuggly, but not too hot, when he has his woollies on. They fit well, with enough stretch for his cloth-diapered bum and chunky thighs, and plenty of length in the arms and legs. The wide cuffs on the sleeves and legs can be rolled up for smaller babes or left over the hands and feet for an extra layer of warmth. And the beanie is thin enough to fit under another thicker hat or a hood. I can’t say enough about how much we love our Wee Woollies! Before receiving them, we’d layer Huckleberry in all sorts of cotton and fleece and he’d either be too hot or too cold and fuss about it. That’s not the case at all anymore – and we can’t wait to use them as pyjamas on all of our camping trips this year! Ok, I’ll stop rambling and give you all of the important details. Oh, and see below for our winter layering infographic.
The Stars of the Show: Wee Woollies Merino Zip Sleeper and Merino Beanie featuring…
- High quality 100% ZQ™ merino wool fibre sourced from New Zealand
- Zipper closure for quick and easy changes
- Stretchy fabric for a snug fit with room to grow
- Generous sizing ranges to last a few seasons
- Long sleeves and legs
- Wide cuffs that can be flipped up or used as an extra layer of warmth over hands and feet
- Coordinating beanie
What we love about our Wee Woollies Merino Zip Sleeper and Merino Beanie:
- They are merino wool! And merino wool has a bajillion benefits, ok, not really, but at least 15! I love the moisture-wicking, temperature-regulating, odour- and stain-resisting qualities of merino wool for little ones in the outdoors. I love merino wool for the whole family, really, but we’re talking about Wee Woollies today.
- They layer well! Because Wee Woollies are so thin, you can fit them under any other article of clothing and there’s no bulk.
- They are dual-purpose! I am a sucker for dual-purpose items – it fits well with the minimalist lifestyle we are cultivating and also means we spend less money. Wee Woollies serve as pyjamas or base layers and can be worn year round. You will definitely get your money’s worth out of this investment!
- They come in 1- and 2-piece sets! From newborn to 8-years old (check sizing here) you will find something for your child. The sleeper is great in the winter when you don’t want any gaps, but the two-piece sets add another level of versatility and make diaper-changes/bathroom breaks a little easier.
- They grow with your child! They fit long and slim and have so much stretch to them (but don’t lose their shape). With each generous size range, there is plenty of room to grow. And there’s even room for a cloth diaper!
- They will last through multiple children! When your child does finally grow out of their Wee Woollies they will still be in great shape for the next wee one. Merino wool is a durable fabric and Wee Woolliestakes great care in making quality clothing.
- They come in fun colours! Bright blues and oranges and pinks and purples! Bold accents on the cuffs and collars! They also come in gender neutral colours – great for big families and handmedowns!
- They are made in Canada! They are designed and made in Vancouver, British Columbia with high quality merino wool from New Zealand. I love supporting local any way that I can!
What we would change if we could:
- The sleeper has a single zipper. It would be so amazing if the sleeper had a double zipper so that you could leave a coat on and unzip from the bottom up to expose less skin during trail side diaper changes. Otherwise we are nothing but thrilled with our Wee Woollies!
If you’re ready to invest in some good clothes for some good weather (because there’s no such thing as bad weather, remember?) then head to the Wee Woollies online store to shop their adorable merino wool kids clothing line! If you want to support a more local vendor, you can view their list of stockists located across Canada, in the USA and internationally.
How do you layer your wee ones on chilly days?