I received these items at no cost to facilitate my review. All opinions remain my own.
For some folks, socks are a mundane topic, a purchase like toothpaste or toilet paper, not worth noting. I am not one of those folks. I love socks! When I went off to university, my mom bought me a bright red pair of socks with grips on the bottom, I was ecstatic! When I’m not running around barefoot, I am happy to slide on a pair of soft, warm, comfy socks. But I am picky about the socks I slip my feet into, especially when it comes to hiking.
Socks can make or break a hike. Rain, sleet, wind, gruelling sun, doesn’t matter, I’ll keep hiking. Slouching, bunching, shifting or thin socks and I’m done. Those words don’t apply to Darn Tough socks, though. Darn Tough socks hug your feet in all the right ways, provide extra cushion in all the right places and wick away moisture, keeping your feet fresh and dry. They are thick, cushy, snug and oh-so-comfortable! I could hike in them for days.
According to Darn Tough: Merino wool is naturally antimicrobial, so these socks repel bacteria and odour, which comes in handy when you need to get an extra day (or two) out of your socks. Just to test this theory, I have worn them on three 5-hour hikes in a row, without washing, and they are not stretched out nor odiferous (Bookworm’s new favourite word). Speaking of Trail Dad, he doesn’t typically get very excited about products that I review but these socks came at a perfect time, as he had just worn holes in his only other pair of hiking socks. He has not stopped talking about how comfortable his Darn Tough socks are, “My favourite hiking socks yet” he says. And, when we wear holes in these socks, Darn Tough will replace them, no questions asked. How cool is that?!
The Star of the Show: Darn Tough Hiking Socks featuring…
- Blend of custom count, shrink treated merino wool, nylon and spandex for a sock with exceptional softness, durability and superior moisture management.
- High density cushioning strategically placed on the shin providing comfort and fit.
- High density cushioning strategically placed on the foot base providing comfort and fit.
- High Density Knitting because more knit stitches per inch equates to durability and cushioning without bulk.
- Ribbed knit and ankle support form fitting to the contours of your calf, shin and ankle ensuring a custom fit with no slipping, no bunching and no blisters.
- Performance fit that comes from form fitting toe boxes, sculpted heel pockets and knit-in elastic support at the arch.
- “Seamless” toe created by terry loops in the ring toe construction.
What we love about our Darn Tough Hiking Socks:
- They are so comfortable! Our Darn Tough socks are the most comfortable hiking socks we’ve worn yet, and we’ve tried a handful of others. They have extra cushioning on the foot base and shin. They stretch well, but not too well, and they are so soft. These socks are also “seamless”, so no added pressure or rubbing around the toes.
- They are warm yet breathable! Darn Tough socks are made with merino wool. Merino wool is known for its wicking qualities, meaning that it keeps you feeling dry even when you’re sweaty. This helps you to feel warm in the winter and cool in the summer, making it an ideal material to wear year round. Your feet will thank you!
- They stay put! They really do! Hike them up as high and they go, and there they’ll stay. Slouch them a bit and they still won’t move. The elastic throughout the socks makes it so that they hug your feet without holding on too tightly, and there’s no rubbing or slowly sliding down. I didn’t feel the need to adjust my socks even once in an 6-hour hike. According to Darn Tough product descriptions: “Legendary performance fit with solid cushioning along the bottom of the foot offers comfort without the bulk. No slipping, no bunching, no blisters.”
- Darn Tough socks are unconditionally guaranteed for life! If you don’t love them, if they’re not for you, or if they wear out, you can return them for another pair or your money back. No questions asked. Read more about their guarantee here.
- They are true to size! I received a women’s medium, which is meant to fit shoe sizes 7.5-9.5. I’m usually an 8, and they fit me well. Trail Dad received a men’s large, meant to fit men’s 10-12, and he’s a 10. He has no complaints at all. Most of socks end up too big for me, since I am always at the smaller end of the range, so I am happy that these fit so well, and there is definitely room for bigger feet.
- They come in fun colours! Who doesn’t want bright purple, green or blue socks? And even if you don’t, they also come in plain old black or grey.
- Darn Tough makes more than just hiking socks! They make socks for the whole family and a wide range of activities including skiing, cycling, hunting, and the farmer’s market too. And within each category, there is a wide variety of sock height and cushion level. So you’re sure to find the right sock for you.
What we would change if we could:
- Nothing. I feel like I have to find something wrong with them, or you’ll think I’m being dishonest, but there is truly nothing we don’t like about these socks.
Are your feet itching to get into some of these incredible socks? You can purchase Darn Tough socks online at a variety of retailers across Canada, including MEC, SAIL, La Cordée, Sporting Life and more. You can also buy them locally, in Kingston, at Trailhead, Smith Army Surplus and Fancy That. Or, you can try your hand in the giveaway below. Good luck!
Where will your Darn Tough socks take you?
Welcome to the Say Goodbye to Summer Giveaway Hop
Hosted by The Anti-June Cleaver & Our Piece of Earth
Fall is officially here and it’s time to celebrate! We have teamed up with an amazing group of bloggers to bring you a variety of prizes to make your fall fun! After you have entered a giveaway check out the linky at the bottom of each post to visit the other blogs for more great prizes.
Embrace autumn — in all its windy, chilly, pumpkin spicy, colourful glory — with a brand new pair of hiking socks from Darn Tough. Up for grabs is a pair of Women’s Summit Stripe Boot Socks Cushion in Pebbles, size medium (shoe size: women’s 7.5-9.5). And a pair of Men’s Hiker 1/4 Socks Cushion in Black, size large (shoe size: men’s 10-12 or women’s 12+). The winner can choose to take both pairs and share the wealth with a friend, or “gift” the pair that won’t fit onto the next winner drawn. You can enter the giveaway using the form below. Good luck and happy trails!
Terms & Conditions: Open to residents of Canada and the USA, 18 years of age or older. Confirmed winner(s) will be contacted via email and have 48 hours to respond or another winner will be drawn. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Prize fulfillment is the responsibility of the sponsor(s). Canadian winners must successfully complete a skill testing question. For questions or to see your product featured on Maman on the Trail blog contact Monica at http://www.mamanonthetrail.com/contact-me/