I received this item at no cost to facilitate my review. All opinions remain my own.
My best friend, Jemimah, works in mental health. She and I often converse about the importance of downtime, of recharging, of “mental health” days. We are each other’s advocates for self-care. We offer free therapy sessions to one another, the way that besties should, and we give each other permission to play hooky for sanity’s sake. She has been by my side on this journey into motherhood, not literally, because she moved to Australia about 2 weeks before Huckleberry was born, but in every other sense. To be perfectly honest, the time difference has been great for our relationship! It saves me during all of the 1am and 4am feedings, when I often realize I have had no “me time” and no sleep and find myself sobbing on the couch in the dark. She will remind me that I’m doing a good job, and she will tell me to schedule some time for self-care, some “me time”.
As a new mom, or even a seasoned mom, you may hear the term “me time” and laugh. “Me time” is an elusive creature, like a snow leopard or a lynx, rarely seen but its existence known. “Me time” is the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And if you know a thing or two about rainbows, you know that you can chase the end all you want, but you’ll never find it. It doesn’t have to be that way though, and one miracle-working mom has found a little “me time” for us all. She has even been so kind as to box it up and deliver it to our doorsteps, how sweet is that? Seriously though, it’s genius. By the same token that having your best friend give you permission to take a day, having another mom pick out some self-care products and send them to you in the mail is all the motivation you need to schedule that much-needed YOU time. And it comes to you in the form of a quarterly subscription box: Oh Mother Care Kits.
Nicole, the woman behind the Oh Mother Care Kits, is a new mom with a passion for self-care and women’s health. She has taken time and great care in curating these care packages that are lovingly packed with natural handmade care products from Canadian artisan makers. In every subscription box you will find 6-8 quality Canadian-made products that include: an herbal tea; a sweet treat; some bath and skin lotions, potions, scrubs or soaks; three 5×7 recipe cards; and three wallet-sized mama mantra cards.
I received the Summer 2016 OMCK to review and can honestly say that it is life-changing. Such a simple idea, and already I have scheduled and enjoyed more “me time” in the past week than in the past 6 months combined. I have soaked up the sun on the balcony with some iced tea and chocolate. I have taken an embarrassingly long hot shower with a salt scrub followed by some body butter. I have changed my nighttime routine to be a little more lavender-filled and relaxing. And I have a new attitude. Bonus: I am a better maman and wife because of it.
The Star of the Show: the Summer ‘16 Oh Mother Care Kit featuring…
- Oh Mother Care Kits -> Mama Mantra Cards (not pictured: 5×7 Recipe Cards)
- Lavami -> Whipped Body Butter No. 6 Breeze
- Crimson Clover Apothecary -> Micellar-Aqua Lavender
- Little Taproot Apothecary -> Litsea Cubeba and Rose Body Scrub
- Pristine Thirteen -> Coconut Vanilla Foot Soak
- Just Us! Coffee Roasters Co-op -> Mint Dark Chocolate Bar
- AIDE Body Care -> Deodorant Cream
- Anointment -> Lemon Lip Balm
- New Moon Tea Co. -> June Bug Iced Tea
- Onoclea -> Joy Bath tea
What I love about my Oh Mother Care Kit:
- It highlights the importance of “me time”! I often tell myself “You can’t pour from an empty glass.” I am not a good maman, a good partner or a good friend when I am rundown and overworked and unhappy. I cannot take care of anyone else if I am not taking care of myself. This care kit puts self-care at the top of your to-do list, where it should be.
- It is the definition of “Treat Yo Self”! Did you watch “Parks and Recreation”? Donna and Tom had it right, you need to treat yourself. And this is one great way to do it!
- It has chocolate in it! Need I say more?
- It is an amazing care kit for more than just moms! I checked all of the products and not a single one said “Please ensure that you have birthed or adopted a child before using.” Don’t tell her yet, but I will be purchasing one of these for my bestie. Self-care advocate, right here!
- It is packed with Canadian products! I love supporting local, you know that! Every single one of the items in this care package is made right here in Canada.
- It is packed with quality, handmade self-care products! I have tried all but two of the treats so far and I am beyond pleased. The tea and chocolate were delicious. The scrub left me feeling (and smelling) refreshed. The body butter is ahhh-mazing. The deodorant is performing SO well on the trails in hot humid weather. Great stuff!
- It is delivered to your door! I love getting mail. I check the mail every single day. I shop online just so that I can receive things in the mail. And I despise running errands. So, the fact that this box comes by mail is just perfect! And, it’s one less thing on your to-do list.
- It has chocolate in it! Oh, did I say that already?
What I would change if I could:
- It is not the cheapest way to get some “me time”. But can you really put a price on self-care? And this is probably also coming from the little voice inside my head that also tells me I don’t have time for me. So disregard this entire paragraph. In my honest opinion though, it is worth every penny. The products are of the highest quality and this care package is the extra little push you need to lock yourself in the bathroom with some wine, your favourite tunes, a few candles and a long hot soak in the tub.
If you’re as excited about this subscription box as I was, and you want to get your hands on this exact one, it’s not too late! You have until July 15th to order one of the Summer Care Kits. Head over to the Oh Mother Care Kits shop and snag one now.
As one of my readers, you have access to an exclusive offer! Use the code “MOTTSUM16” to save 15% on your first box! Offer valid until July 15, 2016.
Oh Mother Care Kits subscription boxes are curated seasonally and they ship quarterly. You can expect the new and exciting boxes in September, December, March and again next June. There are 3 subscription options available to meet your needs: annually, quarterly and single. If you purchase an annual subscription you will be billed once per year at $318.80 (shipping incl.), which works out to $79.70/box. A quarterly subscription sees you billed once every 3 months for $84.90 (shipping incl.). And a single subscription is a one-time payment of $104.90 (shipping incl.) for one box.
For more information, head to OhMother.ca.
Also, you can check out my Instagram feed for the unveiling of the Oh Mother Care Kit. Simply opening it was an act of self-care!
What do you do to ensure you get “me time” on a regular basis? What is your favourite self-care activity or product?